For this client, we designed a rust-resistant and versatile helicopter hangar that doubles as storage for other equipment.
The client wanted up to build a hangar to store a helicopter and double as a machinery storage shed. The hangar needed to have full opening hangar doors on the front and a small roller door for through access for smaller vehicles.
The hangar was located on a large property near Tea Gardens, NSW. The building would be close to the beach, so rust resistance had to be implemented.
Size & Structure
16m (W) x 18m (L) x 6m (H)
- Hot dipped galvanised portal frame columns
- Hot Dipped galvanised end wall mullions
- Engineered slab and apron
- Full width open front access
- Heavy duty bottom roller doors with outrigger
- Insulation on the roof
- Region A Wind Rating
Our Innovative Solution
- A Tight Deadline The client needed the hangar to be constructed and delivered in a short period of time. Because we are an agile company, we were able to get the designs and engineering put through quickly. We were able to shuffle around production schedules and get the shed onsite read for installation in a very short period of time.
- A Corrosive Environment: The salt air of the coastal area can be corrosive to unprotected steel. To combat this all the portal frame columns and end wall mullions were hot dipped galvanised. The cladding was also made from rust-resistant Colorbond.
- Heavy Duty Full Width Roller Doors: The client wanted large sliding doors to allow full access to the hangar. To give full-width open access we installed outriggers to carry the sliding doors outside the width of the building. The doors included heavy duty bottom rollers to ensure smooth opening hangar doors.
- Load Bearing Slab and Apron: The slab needed to take the weight of a helicopter as well as vehicles that would also be stored within the hangar. It was designed and engineered by us to take the weight of the helicopter and vehicles.
Interested In Your Own Hangar?
We can work with you to construct a custom steel building to suit your needs that is structured to work.
Shed | General
Looking to build a new steel hangar? Techspan is a leading manufacturer of airport hangars, aircraft maintenance buildings, air cargo…Read More
Article | Resources
Building A Hangar? Your Aircraft Hangar Design & Construction Guide
In this guide, we show you what you need to consider with your hangar design and construction, including what options…Read More
Case Study | Industrial
Wellcamp Airport Hangar at Toowoomba QLD
Wellcamp Airport QLD required a hangar for the operation of an air-freight company and the new airport facility. The hangar needed to…Read More